Excited for my Master’s degree!

As some of you may know, I’ll be a Master’s student at the University of Texas at Austin (McCombs School of Business) this fall. And if you couldn’t tell, I am super hyped.

• I miss a collegiate environment. To be honest, I didn’t take college too seriously the first time around. I loved learning and I loved hanging out with my classmates, but in terms of professional development… very lacking. I hated team projects, I didn’t do interview practice, I fudged my way through a lot of p-sets, etc. This is a bit of a “do-over” for me.
  • It’s an opportunity for a career change. I’m aiming to get a position in investment/wealth management upon graduation; however, given that I took a little deviation from finance (plus the fact that I slept my way through my investments + options & futures classes in undergrad), I’m going to need a little boost from the advanced degree and going through the classes.
  • I’ll be in downtown Austin! That means after class, I can just hop a bus and be at Ballet Austin for dance classes. I can do a part-time internship if I absolutely want to. I can fully explore the downtown area, which I didn’t get to do while working at Giant Noise.
  • Case studies!!

Classes start mid-July, with intensive courses in Financial Management (probably the equivalent of 15.401) and Valuation (probably like 15.402). Shouldn’t be too hard (good review, at least), and will give me some time to work on career management and getting to know my cohort.

Interesting tidbit: my sister will be a freshman at UT next year too. Disturbing tidbit: she’s 6 years younger than me. Damn… has it really been 6 years since I first stepped foot on MIT‘s campus?

Comments

1. says

Congratulations!

I can’t wait to get my Bachelor’s. I just got my Associate’s this past Fall and now I was invited to walk in the ceremony in May. I haven’t decided whether or not I want to go yet, I’m thinking yes, because then I can visit the beach and such. :) (I graduated from Jacksonville, FL)

Sounds like you are excited to become a Master’s Student. I’m excited to become a Bachelor’s student. We both have awesome things coming for us. :D Good luck getting through everything!

2. FlipFlop says

What are the odds of you actually finishing the program at UTA, considering how often you change your mind. Undecisive much?

• Vivian says

Pretty high, considering it’s a yearlong program. And yes, I’m horribly indecisive – medical circumstances, life, and changing interests tends to do that to a person, I suppose.

At the same time, it’s not like we 1) are forced to be chained to one career, 2) have to figure everything out by a certain age. I’ve embraced the fact that I took a spin through the Naive Carousel in my early 20s… and am still figuring it out.

• Vivian says

Also, no one calls it UTA. That’s UT Arlington. Austin is just UT :)

And is there a reason you don’t just use your real name when commenting?

3. says

Congratulations! I didn’t know you would be pursuing a Master’s. But welcome back to the school life! I actually am anxiously anticipating graduation (I still have another year but it’s quickly approaching).

What career were you pursuing prior to finance?

Also, in response to your comment on my blog, I’ve tried a few of the other 2048 variations, most notably the doge one. That one has really bright colors but it’s just as fun. :D

4. says

Good luck on your Masters degree! Oh man I realize how much younger I must seem to you – I’m only in my second year of undergrad, haha ^^; It’s really impressive that you started at MIT, though; hopefully you work harder while you’re at UT? Do-overs are nice, even if they’re not do-overs necessarily. Then again, I don’t really believe that anything’s set in stone. Sounds like you’re ready and think you’re ready, which is the most important. Finance is bleh to me, but I’m sure you can do it :>

5. says

I hope that it all goes really well for you! :D I am glad that you are excited about it and the fact that you are approaching this a lot differently I think you will be able to get the results you are looking for. :D

6. says

Good luck with getting your Master’s! Getting a second chance at things you wanted to do is always great, especially since you want to take another shot at the professional aspect of learning. Also, case studies are always fun and interesting. :)

7. Belle says

I just wanted to pop over from the Brave Frontier Pros blog to say thank you for your contribution! Thanks for translating the JP units and your work! We really appreciate it :-).